Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What are dreams.

Many people have tried to explain why we dream during the night. Taken from a 'me' perspective it's a valid question. The brain/mind is designed to help with problems and also to create possible scenarios based on stimulation it is receiving. The brain is constantly trying to help out and in most cases it does a pretty good job.

During the day there is strong visual, and other stimulus that is quite stable. We call this 'reality' because it's very persistent, but not every-one experiences the same version of 'reality'. We experience reality based on many factors and we assume that every-one is having the same experience. You and I have different realities as does the person suffering from schizophrenia, mania or neurosis.

During the night in the absence of the strong external stimulous the mind continues with it's job by piecing together thoughts, beliefs, wishes, hangups and any internal goings-on; it is still doing what it's designed to but the outcome is less persistant - each dream created out of ever changing inputs.

The brain simply dreams because that's what it's designed to do.

1 Comments:

At 4:24 AM, Blogger Mike Ayers said...

Hey Roy! Been a while, huh?

Dreams are crazy. I don't have them much, or at least not that I can remember. Us seekers ask the oddest questions, don't we?

Our minds must know all the answers, and we just can't accept simple facts as they are. Why do we dream? Who cares? Why do I have brown hair? Who cares? I have brown hair, I dream, my father left us when we were young... so what! That's the way it is.

Of course, we can't tell folks that if we want to have a social life, but sometimes don't you just feel like saying things like that to silly little seeker-bees like us? I know I would, and do, actually. :)

Anyway, it's good to see you posting again.

Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home